Click here to purchase your EIV Use Policy and Procedure Manual


City Landscapes

Section 8 Property

Subsidized Property

Sec 8 Property

Sec 8 Property

Seattle at Night


“Adult Child” Definition for a HUD Section 202/8 Property

What exactly is the HUD definition for “Adult Child”? At a affordable housing, HUD Section 202/8 property for the elderly, an adult child is not allowed to move in “after” initial occupancy unless the adult child is necessary for the care and well-being of the elderly tenant. So, what if the adult child is 62 or older, and would qualify age-wise…and in all other areas…to have a unit of his/her own. Why wouldn’t we allow an adult child 62 or older to simply be added to the parent(s) household as a household member? After all, if the elderly tenant wanted to add an otherwise eligible non-family member, we would allow the move-in by processing an Interim Recertification, because of the change in household composition.So why can a 62 or older friend move in, sign the lease and have rights to the unit if the tenant moves out or passes away, yet a 62 or older son/daughter can’t? Maybe HUD thought keeping the adult child…no matter the age…out of the unit was a way of keeping the adult child from jumping the waiting list. But couldn’t the “friend” also be jumping the waiting list? It would appear that allowing a 62 or older “friend” to move in and not allowing a 62 or older son/daughter to move in doesn’t make a lot of sense.

Perhaps HUD meant an adult child is: Over the age of 18 but under the age of 62?

The HUD Handbook 4350.3 rev. 1 Change 4, isn’t always so clear. In a HUD Section 202/8 I can move someone in after initial occupancy and they don’t have to be a live-in-aide, correct? What if 62 year old person finds the love of their life and wants to move them in? Not for their care-giving services but as a “roommate”. Is a property not allowed to move other people into a unit?

The restriction is only for adult children.

(4) An adult child is eligible to move into a Section 202/8 project after initial occupancy only if they are essential to the care or well-being of the elderly parent(s). The adult child may be considered a live-in aide if all of the requirements in 1, above, apply and there is a verified need for a live-in aide in accordance with 2(a), above. (See Paragraph 7-4.D for more discussion on adult children moving in after initial occupancy.) ~Page 3-10

Whatever the reasoning for this prohibition, I see no exceptions to it in the handbook. I did an electronic search on “Adult Children” to make sure that I didn’t miss anything.

What is an “adult child”? 18-61? That is what is unclear. In addition, if the tenant wanted to move someone in unrelated that would be treated differently? What if the “adult child” was 62 and was qualified to move in the unit?

HUD has clarified that adult grandchildren do not qualify either.

See the Handbook Q&A doc.

HUD Handbook 4350.3 FAQ- 2007:

*19. Question: Regarding Section 202/8 projects, Chapter 7, Paragraph 7-4 D states that “Adult children are eligible to move into a unit after initial occupancy only if they are essential for the care or well-being of the elderly tenant(s).” Section 202 PRAC and Section 811 PRAC projects, Chapter 7, Paragraph 7-4 E states that “Adult children are not eligible to move into a unit after initial occupancy unless they are performing the function of a live-in aide and are classified as a live-in aide for eligibility purposes”. Do these restrictions also apply to adult grandchildren?

 Answer: Yes, they also apply to adult grandchildren.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.